wifi channel are responsible for coverage and wireless network performance. every wireless routers have two special frequencies, 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz and different wireless channels. By default your router is setup with channel no- 6 or 13.
When these channels have lots of competition (overlapping) in your area, then they might give you poor wireless connection, and just because of poor wifi connection, you will get slow internet speed as well.
So whenever you are having slow internet or wireless connection problem, you should try to change your wireless channel, for changing the wireless channel, you may follow these instructions:
Each channel has their own spectrum, 2.4 ghz has 20 mhz wide spectrum while 5ghz got 100 mhz spectrum. So when you plan to change the wireless channel for 2.4 ghz network, then you should go with channel 6 or 9, while when you decide for 5 ghz, you should stay with channel no. 11. Because these does not overlapped anytime, and they will remain your devices connected for longer.
How to Change wireless channel –
After discussing about wireless channel it’s a time for how to change the wireless channel, so I am going to give you instructions bellow just follow them and you will able to change your wireless channel by yourself.
- Connect your computer with wireless router using Ethernet cable or wireless connection.
- Power on your wireless router.
- Open web browser, like- internet explorer , google chrome, firefox.
- In the top address bar, you need to type, your wireless router’s ip address and press enter.
- Here you will able to see login screen, so you need to type here router’s user name and password.
- Now you need to go to wireless settings section, here you will able to see your wireless channel, so need to select 6 or 11. Whatever you want.
- Finally you need to click on apply ok and you will be good to go.