wifi channel is responsible for coverage and wireless network performance. every wireless router has two special frequencies, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and different wireless channels. By default, your router is set up with channel no- 6 or 13.
When these channels have lots of competition (overlapping) in your area, then they might give you poor wireless connection, and just because of poor wifi connection, you will get slow internet speed as well.
So whenever you are having slow internet or wireless connection problem, you should try to change your wireless channel, for changing the wireless channel, you may follow these instructions:
Each channel has their own spectrum, 2.4 GHz has 20 MHz wide spectra while 5ghz got 100 MHz spectrum. So when you plan to change the wireless channel for the 2.4 GHz network, then you should go with channel 6 or 9, while when you decide for 5 GHz, you should stay with channel no. 11. Because these do not overlap anytime, and they will remain your devices connected for longer.
How to Change the wireless channel –
After discussing wireless channel it’s time for how to change the wireless channel, so I am going to give you instructions below just follow them and you will able to change your wireless channel by yourself.
- Connect your computer with a wireless router using Ethernet cable or wireless connection.
- Power on your wireless router.
- Open a web browser, like- internet explorer, google chrome, firefox.
- In the top address bar, you need to type, your wireless router’s ip address and press enter.
- Here you will able to see the login screen, so you need to type here router’s username and password.
- Now you need to go to the wireless settings section, here you will able to see your wireless channel, so need to select 6 or 11. Whatever you want.
- Finally, you need to click on apply ok and you will be good to go.