Read Solutions for Black Screen On Laptop Problem-
Computer and laptop create many problems during their life cycle. One of the worst problems is the black screen on the laptop. We can say, this is the worst problem because there is no display error on the screen so we can not recognize and fix it easily.
Sometimes we hear laptop is spinning sound but nothing come up and the power light indicates as usual. This problem indicates about ram issues. Simply clean your ram and it will solve your black screen problem.
The most common issue, your screen is black but you can see and move the mouse cursor. So it is a quite irritating and scary issue. There are lots of reason for the black screen but most of them you can fix by following steps.
Solution 1- Fix Black Screen by Checking video cable connections
You have to check your display cable connection. Sometimes in the desktop, display cable or VGA cable unplugged from the screen and it could be the reason for the black screen.
Black screen problem occurs due to VGA cable usually in desktop computers. It can also on the laptop if you are using two screen connection with the laptop. If you have screen fluctuation problem it indicates for damage video cable.
Solution 2- Change the resolution and graphics settings
Resolution and the graphics settings play a very important roll in any computer or laptop. If you will change the resolution more than supported by your screen, turn into the black screen on the laptop.
An old model monitor doesn’t support high resolution and turn into the black screen. It also happens once you are using graphics card into your laptop or desktop.
Follow below steps for resetting high resolution-
- If you are able to access your screen change your resolution from high to low like 800*600. This is the minimum resolution which supports maximum screens.
- In case you have a black screen and can’t change the settings just restart your computer in safe mode. There are two options for starting safe mode.
A). First, restart your computer and keep pressing the F8 function key. Now select safe mode.
B). Second press Windows logo key+R together. A run dialogue box will open. Type here “msconfig” and click ok. Now go to boot menu and checkmark safe boot from here. Click on apply and then ok. Restart your laptop in safe mode.
After starting in safe mode all the user setting revert into windows default setting. Now you can change resolution from here. Sometimes you can solve the black screen on laptop problem by removing a graphics card if using.
Solution 3- Restart explorer.exe process again
Explorer.exe process manages the desktop, taskbar and also gives graphics content on your operating system. You can get black screen problem and everything becomes invisible due to explorer.exe process stop running in the laptop.
You can fix explorer.exe by following steps-
- Press Ctrl+Shift and Esc keys together from your keyboard
- A window box Task Manager will open on the screen. If it’s not coming press Ctrl+Alt and Delete and select Task Manager.
- Now from left top corner click on the file menu and go to New Task(Run…)
- A new pop up window will open on the screen by the name create a new task
- Now type here explorer.exe and click on Ok
- It will restart explorer.exe and most probably screen will come up
Sometimes explorer.exe get stuck and gives the black screen. In this situation follow the below steps-
- Again press Ctrl+Shift and Esc keys together on your keyboard
- Same window box Task Manager will open on the screen. If it’s not coming press Ctrl+Alt and Delete and select Task Manager.
- Now click on the process and search explorer.exe process
- Right click on explorer.exe and go to the End Process
- It will restart your computer with your window screen
Solution 4- Go to the safe mode and roll back recent changes
Time to time we update the windows or software. Sometimes we also install a few new software according to use. This software may change your screen resolution or damage your explorer files.
Software which is not compatible with your windows can cause of black screen. For fixing this type of black screen problem you have to revert back the settings which you made also uninstall the unwanted software.
Sometimes a virus comes with fake third party software and cleaners and damages your explorer file. In this case, you have to start your computer in safe and scan with a good antivirus. After scanning restart your explorer.exe from above solution 3.
Solution 5- Black screen on Laptop due to RAM memory
RAM (Random Access Memory) may be the reason for the black screen on a laptop. If the laptop is running or spinning but not giving any display, it causes of faulty RAM or not accessible by CPU.
Apply simple steps to fix this problem with RAM-
- Remove RAM from motherboard or laptop and clean its points(copper contact) with plain white paper. You can use the white eraser for cleaning RAM because carbon collects between the jack and points which easily removes by paper and eraser.
- Clean RAM jack also in the laptop or motherboard.
- Put RAM back and start your computer, If doesn’t work try again cleaning process.
- Still not works and system are on it indicates towards faulty RAM.
- Install new RAM and it will solve your issue.
Sometimes the user installs extra RAM more than supported by motherboard or laptop. It can also the reason for the black screen on a laptop.
Solution 6- Update driver of Laptop
Role of a driver can’t be explained with one word on the laptop. The driver creates the connection between hardware and software components. Due to driver laptop can create many hardware issues apart from the black screen.
It may possibly due to corrupt or bad driver creates a black screen on a laptop. Not only driver windows updates also one of the reasons for laptop problems. It is necessary to update the windows and its driver from time to time.
You can use windows update and third-party software for driver installation or updating. I would like to suggest you go with the company(laptop brand) website and their driver support page. Third-party software also tries to install unwanted software which is harmful to the laptop.
Solution 7- Black Screen After Signing into Windows Login Screen
Windows starts and gives you login screen or loading screen. After typing the password into the login screen or loading screen we get black screen apart from the home desktop screen. This is one of the most common problems.
Some people think it happens due to the virus and some due to windows registry settings changes. Windows registry is a very sensitive part of the computer. Never try to make any changes otherwise windows may slow down even crash also.
It is also possible virus can damage registry files and you get a black screen on a laptop. Anyhow registry changes by myself or by the virus can be a cause of the black screen. Sometimes it works after restarting explorer.exe files. You can start explorer.exe by following the above steps.
You should scan your laptop with a good Antivirus for fixing the problem black screen on a laptop after logging issue. There are lots of Antivirus are available on the market. You can install one of trustworthy from them. Norton.com, Avg.com, Avast.com, McAfee.com, Malwarebytes.com, these are some branded and trustful antivirus names.
Here we are going to explain their installation and how to scan in safe mode from one of them. Let’s start with Norton.com with its installation.
Norton Antivirus Installation steps-
- First bought a Norton antivirus from Norton.com
- After buying you can get its activation key through email
- Now download Norton free setup from the website(link). Norton also sends a downloadable link through activation email
- Now run the downloaded setup by double click on it. Follow the instruction and finish the installation
- It will ask you to create your Norton profile. use your phone number and email id create your Norton profile
- Now your trial pack of Norton will activate
- Next click on Help from the home screen of Norton Antivirus. It will show Helping options
- Click on Enter product key. Now type your activation key and activate your antivirus
- Now scan your whole system and delete detected virus permanently
- After scanning restart hope you will not get the black screen on a laptop.
- Still getting some error please write us in the comment section below we will update the solution.
Solution 8- Hard reset from power
Hard reset can work with some model of laptop. You can follow below steps for hard resetting the laptop-
- Power off or shut down your laptop
- Disconnect all the external devices like mouse, keyboard or USB anything
- Remove the battery from the laptop
- Remove charger connection form laptop
- Press and hold the power on-off switch for one minute at least
- Connect the charger to your laptop and turn it on
- Turn off again and plug the battery again
- Now turn it on and proper shut down your laptop and disconnect the charger
- Now connect the charger again and turn it on
- Few laptops work and can fix by these steps
Solution 9- Restore Laptop from Backdate
If you are getting a black screen on laptop frequently or stuck on the same screen sometimes, it shows bad updates of windows. In this case, you can restore your windows on the back date when it was working or fresh reset as bought.
Fresh reset removes all your data and application and makes your laptop just like a new one. The drawback is data and application loss. Sometimes it can also destroy your windows permanently.
We will suggest you this as last option before following below steps-
Restore and Reset steps for Windows 10-
If you get the black screen on your laptop after windows login. in that case, you may try to factory restore your windows laptop.
For brief information, you may visit: how to factory restore your windows laptop.
Solution 10- Reset BIOS
BIOS(Basic Input/Output System) is the first chipset which starts at first after pressing power on button. It stores a random command for executing devices and windows. It checks all the hardware component and their connection. BIOS is responsible for booting windows files.
BIOS gets an update from time to time from their respective manufacturer. Its download all the updates and execute at starting the laptop. Once in a while, we notice windows take much time from usual at starting. This time BIOS execute their updates.
Sometimes BIOS won’t execute the updates properly and start giving errors. One of the error is a black screen on the laptop comes up after starting or login windows. In this case, we need to reset the BIOS setting as default.
Reset BIOS setting-
- Turn off the laptop and unplug the power cord from it
- Remove the battery from the laptop
- Now connect the power cord and press the power button by holding it for 30 seconds
- Now turn off your laptop and remove the power cable
- Plug the battery in and also the power cord
- Restart your laptop again. It will reset your BIOS
Note-In some models, this above procedure doesn’t work. For resetting BIOS you have to remove BIOS battery from the motherboard.
We have tried to explain the solution also with images. If we get any new solution will update as soon as possible.